Spoke material: Galvanised (high carbon steel), bright steel (for painting), stainless steel or bulldog (high tensile stainless).
Spoke finish: Polished, unpolished, powder coated, black chromed, chemically blacked, galvanised or bright steel.
Spoke type: Single gauge, Double butted or Single butted.
Spoke dimension: Length, gauge of wire, angle of bend, length of bend. Straight spokes are measured over total length.
Nipple size: Gauge, diameter underhead, material and type of finish.
Please note: Similar material, such as stainless steel spokes with stainless steel nipples can seize together over time. If in doubt, please ask before you order!
- Galvanised steel was the traditional material for spokes, although stainless steel is now more popular and gives a better longer lasting finish.
- Unpolished stainless steel spokes resemble galvanized spokes with the added benefit of being corrosion resistant.
- Polished stainless steel gives spokes a chrome-like appearance, but without the same level of maintenance.
- Bright steel single gauge and single butted are available (for painting) in certain diameters.
- Single and double butted spokes are only produced in stainless steel and can only be supplied polished.
- Bulldog spokes are made from a high tensile stainless steel developed for the Motocross / Offroad market. The material is very hard wearing and will not stretch with use. Bulldog spokes can only support bends up to 35 degrees.
- Galvanized spoke sets are usually supplied with zinc plated steel nipples.
- Stainless steel spoke sets are supplied with nickel plated brass nipples for Road Bikes or nickel plated steel nipples for Offroad Bikes.
- Bulldog spokes are usually supplied with aluminium nipples. (can be Nickel plated steel).
- Chemically dipped black spokes (single gauge or single butted). In Satin finish.
- Black chromed spokes (single gauge or single butted. In Gloss finish.